home about products contact support policies sitemap  

PayPal Logo


Voltage Converters (220 volt - 110 volt)

Electrical differences in the World are not so shocking! Electricity in the world differs for each country 110/120 volts or 220/240 volts. Plug shapes, Plug holes and Plug sizes are also different in each country. Some countries like USA and Canada run on 120 Volts 60 Cycles (60HZ) and most of the worlds run on 220/240 Volts 50 Cycles (50HZ). This difference in the electricity can be solved by using an appropriate voltage converter.

Q: What does voltage converter or transformer mean?

A: In speaking general Voltage Converters and Voltage Transformers are used to convert electricity. North America and some other countries operate on 110/120 Volt AC 60 Hz while most of the worlds operate on 220/240 volts AC 50 Hz. Voltage Converters changes the electricity to make work electrical appliances in different countries.

Q: What does "Step-up/Down Transformer" mean?

A: Step-up/Down Transformers are used to convert electricity from 220/240 VAC to 110/120 VAC (Step Down) or 110/120 Volt AC to 220/240 Volts AC (Step-up). These types of transformers are grounded and with built-in fuse protection system which provides safety against electrical shock and damage to the appliances.

Q: How can I figure how many watts voltage transformer do I need?

A: First of all, find out how many watts do appliance take. You can find this information usually on the label located on the back or bottom of the appliance or in the specification page of instruction book of an appliance. If only amperage (AMP) is shown multiply the input voltage (i.e. 110 or 220v) by AMPS to find the watts.
for example, 110 V x 0.5 AMPS = 55 W
Please make sure not to operate any appliance with higher wattage than the wattage rating of voltage transformer. Heavy duty transformers can be used continuously at 75% to 80% of their wattage capacity.

Q: I have brought some electrical appliances from overseas will they work in USA?

A:Yes, You can buy one of our step up-down transformers according to the wattage rating of your appliance(s). Please consider to buy higher wattage transformer than the wattage rating of your appliance. All our heavy duty transformers (step up-down) are grounded and built-in fuse protection system for your and your appliances’ safety. Please remember transformers do not convert cycles (60 Hz. VS 50 Hz. Foreign) and some cycle sensitive appliances like microwave ovens, stereo turn tables and analog clocks may not operate properly. However, most modern electronic equipments like computers, printers and stereo music systems are not affected by difference in cycles. Our heavy duty voltage transformers can also be used for U.S. appliances (120 volt AC) to operate in Europe (220/240 volt AC). We also recommend buying our voltage converters built-in voltage stabilizer-regulator to save your appliances from damage caused by power fluctuations.

Q: What is the difference between AC and DC current?

A:Most counties in the world use electrical currents as alternating currents (AC). DC stands for Direct Currents. All appliances and voltage transformers run only on AC electricity.

Q: What is the use of Universal AC/DC adapter?

A:Also known as battery eliminator, universal AC adapters are used to convert AC electricity (i.e. 120V or 240V) to a desirable DC current (i.e. 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 or 12 Volt DC). Some battery operated items with DC input includes walkmans, baby monitors, telephones which can be used with AC adapters universally.

Q: Can I use my several appliances at once with voltage transformer?

A:Yes, As long as total wattage of all your appliances do not exceed than the wattage capacity of a voltage transformer. Also consider only 80% wattage capacity of voltage converter than wattage rating of your appliance(s) to avoid damage caused by power fluctuation.

Q: Can I use my American VCR, TV and Video Camera Overseas?

A:Your American system (NTSC) TV and VCR with appropriate voltage transformer can only be used overseas for playing back your U.S. home videos and video games. TV will not receive local broadcast channels and VCR will not play local tapes and record off the TV reception because most countries use PAL or SECAM TV system. We recommend multi system TVs and VCRs because they give you flexibility to use them with any TV and Video System and can operate on 120 volt or 220-240 volt 50/60 Hz in any country in the world. As with your NTSC Camcorder you need to replace it with a PAL Camcorder unless you have a multi system TV.

Do the plug shape makes the difference when using my appliance overseas with a voltage transformer?

A:Yes, since there is no worldwide standard for the plug configuration, plug shapes and plug holes (electrical outlets) differ from country to country. In addition to voltage converter a necessary plug adapter is required to simply fit your appliance plug in to foreign wall outlet. Please note that adapter plug only changes the plug shape not the electricity.

220Converters.com 1252-A, Remington Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173, USA Phone: 1-847-519-1201 Toll Free: 1-877-443-1212 Open Monday-Friday 10:30 AM-7:30 PM CST
©Copyright 2008 220Converters.com A dvdoverseas Company. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy